Helpful Information

Find the answers to some of our more recently asked questions.

Quick links to help topics


In order to enter into a residential rental agreement in the United Kingdom, you must be able to meet certain criteria to qualify. You must be able to provide a valid right to rent and Identification documents. UK citizens with either a British Passport or Birth certificate (A4) will automatically have indefinite right to rent. If you are arriving from a country outside of the UK, you will need to provide a share code to evidence your rental status along with your original I.D Documents.

We will never enter into a rental agreement without a valid right to rent being confirmed.

You would also need to pass the affordability requirements for the property you wish to rent which is typically checked through a referencing process prior to entering an agreement with us. In some circumstances where the above affordability criteria are not met in full, we may require a further Guarantee in the form of a tenancy guarantor, or we may as a last resort look to accept a form of rent in advance payment. We pride ourselves on the fact that we are always inclusive and fair when it comes to our applicants for renting and we will never turn away a good tenant without a full justification for doing so.

For more advice on private renting in the UK, you can follow these links:

How to rent: the checklist for renting in England – GOV.UK (

Renter guides | Rightmove Guides

A renter’s guide to tenancy paperwork – Zoopla


Damp and mould are prevalent in rental accommodation and is one of the most common issues that we face both in rented and general residential accommodation. The issue always begins with damp. Damp & wet surfaces lead to the growth of mould which can spread throughout the property and eventually, in severe or untreated cases, lead to greater issues with a person’s health or the premises itself.

What is the cause?

The truth of the matter is that there can be a lot of different reasons for damp. The most common causes of damp and mould are condensation or humidity which are down to a lack of heating or ventilation respectively. Often, mould that has occurred due to these reasons is easily remediable, especially if caught early.

The most important thing to remember is to ALWAYS report any damp and mould to us as the landlord as we will always endeavour to investigate any issues with damp and mould when we are made aware. Under the terms of your contract with us it makes it clear that you are obliged to do so and it is our responsibility to ensure that we attend. Never feel like you should withhold something or be worried to report to us as ultimately it is part of our role as a landlord to attend to such matters and identify the route cause of the issue.

Understanding and addressing the health risks of damp and mould in the home – GOV.UK (

Understanding-Damp-Mould.pdf (


We pride ourselves at MYA on being a fair and reasonable landlord when it comes to the keeping of pets and animals within our properties. We will never turn away a prospective tenant solely on the basis of an animal companion. Unfortunately, we do still from time to time have to say No.

In line with the recently updated government guidance, we will never refuse a pet at our properties without good reason and justification for doing so.

Some examples of why a pet could be refused include:

  • The impact on the property and particularly with a larger bloc the impact on the communal ways.
  • Potential impact on other residents, such as in premises with old, shared ventilation systems whereby this could affect other residents who may be allergic.
  • Overruling freehold regulations by a superior freeholder of a premises.

As a general rule – If the property is a house or standalone premises then generally the answer will be yes. If a property is a large, shared bloc of flats or split premises with rooms, it will likely be a no.


A deposit is money held against the property with one of the registered deposit protection schemes at the time that you enter a tenancy. It is held against the condition of the property along with the inventory report and is held as long as the tenancy is ongoing, including if on a periodic or rolling basis.

The deposit is there to cover any potential damages to the property outside of standard wear and tear caused by the tenant for the duration of their tenancy and may also be used in the event of rent arrears being left on the account at the time a tenant vacates.

The deposit is only used or claimed upon at the conclusion of the tenancy, and should there be no dilapidations or arears, it will always be returned to the tenants in full as it does remain the tenant’s money unless claimed.

We are always as fair and reasonable as we can be when it comes to any deposit deductions and will always endeavour to not just advise of decisions made but also explain them. We also always welcome any evidence to the contrary and are happy to reasonably adjust our decisions accordingly.

For more advice on deposits, you can refer to the below links:

Tenancy deposits – Shelter England

mydep_CUST-Info-for-Tenants-A4-2pp_EW_v3-March-2020-1.pdf (

SECTION 8’s & 13’s

A Section 13 is the legally required notice which must be served to increase the rent once the initial fixed term of the tenancy has ended should we intend to increase the rent in line with the market. The notice must be served with a minimum of 1 clear months’ notice.
The tenant can challenge the rent increase if they think it is unreasonable, by applying to a tribunal within 28 days of receiving the notice. You can find more information online here:

Private renting: Rent increases
Rent increases for private tenants – Shelter England

Section 8 notice is the first stage of a 3-stage eviction process. There are various reasons a section 8 can be served and various notice periods that are dependent on the grounds under which it is served.

Some grounds are mandatory (meaning the court must give the landlord possession of the property providing the grounds have been met) and some grounds are discretionary (meaning it is the court’s decision whether possession should be given to the landlord). More information about Section notices can be found here:

Private renting for tenants: tenancy agreements: If your landlord wants to end your tenancy
Eviction – Shelter England

We would like to stress that if you receive either notice from us, we are here to help and provide advice as best we can. We will always discuss your options with you on a one-to-one basis. Legal action is always a last resort for us. The sooner you come to us, whether you are struggling or have had a change of personal circumstances or a life altering event, the more we can work with you to come to a positive outcome for all involved.